The Parliament of Catalunya is housed in the former arsenal of the city fortress or Ciutadella, whose construction was ordered by King Felipe V at the beginning of the 18th century to assure his dominion over the city that had once stood against him. All that remains of the Ciutadella are this arsenal, the chapel – now called Capilla Castrense – and the governor’s palace, which is now a secondary school. From 1932 to 1939 the city council granted Catalonia the right to use the building as its parliament, and in 1980 did so again when the end of the Franco dictatorship led to the restoration of the Catalonian government. Today the building is completely renovated and restored to its former use, and has 5,532 square metres of floor space on two stories.
In September there are a series of open days on which it can be visited: 3rd, 4th, 10th, 17th, 18th, 24th and 25th, from 10:00 to 14:00. On the 11th, La Diada, or the National Day of Catalonia: from 10:00 to 19:00.
The Parliament of Catalonia
Address: Passeig de Pujades.
Metro: L1 Arc de Triomf.