The Güell family, who were ennobled in the 19th century, were the owners of a grand summer residence which they enlarged between 1859 and 1888. The house was situated in what is now the Palau de Pedralbes, and the palace was ceded to the Spanish Crown in 1926 after being restored. The beautiful gardens surrounding the palace were first opened to the public in 1931 with the arrival of the Second Spanish Republic, and after many incarnations were given to the city in 1960. The gardens are made up of Mediterranean plants, pines, palms, cypresses and limes, etc., and are an oasis of peace. Visitors to the park will find a pergola, a garden and two water fountains designed by Gaudí, who worked for Count Güell, and three backlit fountains created by the author of the Montjuïc fountains, Carles Buïgues. Also worth visiting are the palace and the museums it houses: the Museu de la Ceràmica and the Museu d’Arts Decoratives.
Palau de Pedralbes
Address: Avinguda Diagonal, 686.
Metro: L3 Palau Reial.
Opening Hours: From 10:00 to 19:00.